Healthy eating is the right way to healthy living. This entails consuming all types of foods in their right quantities. Note that consuming a lot of vegetables or meat without considering the quantities you take does not in any way translate to healthy eating. But if you take the right amounts of all the recommended types of foods may lead to balanced diet, hence healthy eating. It is, therefore, advisable to choose nutrient-defense foods and beverages that have no sugars added to them. This article outlines some guidelines that mainly focus on the eating patterns people should adopt. These helpful guidelines are explored as follows:
1. Consider choosing a healthy eating pattern throughout your lifespan. Note that those foods and drinks you take matter a lot in your entire lifespan. It is, therefore, advisable to pick an eating pattern that has appropriate levels of calorie. This helps in achieving and maintaining proper body weight, getting adequate body nutrients, and reducing the risk of some chronic diseases. A good and healthy eating plan should entail the following:
· Vegetables can work miracles in your body. There are several varieties of vegetables, such as starch, dark green, legumes, and many others. Make sure you take the right amounts of vegetables per day.
· Fruits. Whole fruits are mostly preferred.
· Grains. It is highly recommended that you go for whole grains.
· Dairy foods that have low or no fats are highly preferred. These may include cheese, yogurt and milk. Avoid dairy products that have highly concentrated with fats since they can lead to serious health complications.
· Protein foods are highly recommended. These include foods, such as lean meat, seafood, eggs and poultry. Some legumes are also proteins and may include peas, beans and soy products, among others.
· Plant oils are also highly preferred. These may include canola, olive, soybean and sunflower oils. These are highly nutritious and should be taken in right quantities.
2. You should pay keen attention to nutrient density, variety and amount. The foods you take should have the right amounts and densities of nutrients. In order to meet the needs of nutrients within the calorie limits, you should consider going for nutrient-dense food products. This needs to be within all groups of foods and in their right quantities.
3. You have to reduce the intake of calories from added sugars and saturated fats. Also, you need to lower the intake of sodium since it can lead to deterioration of your health. It is highly recommended that you limit the intake of sodium, sugar and saturated fats by doing the following:
· Taking less than 10% of calories every day from saturated fats.
· Taking less than 10% of calories every day from added sugars.
· Taking less than 2300 mg of sodium every day.
4. Always prefer taking healthier foods and beverages. In all the groups of foods, make sure you go for nutrient-defense foods and drinks. When making your food and beverage choices, do not overlook your traditional, cultural and personal preferences. Although you want foods that are highly nutritious, you still need ones that are going to meet your dietary needs. So, you need to be extremely careful with your selection.
5. Consider spreading the gospel about healthy eating everywhere you go. It is good to educate others on ways that lead to healthy eating. You have to create awareness in public places, such as schools, homesteads and in the community at large. Tell them about the importance of eating a balanced diet and if possible give them directions on how to go about it. This helps them understand the importance of taking balanced diet, hence promote healthy living.
To conclude, you should bear in mind that a healthy eating pattern is not necessarily the amount of food you take, rather a kind of food consumption plan whereby you take foods that are going to meet your personal, cultural and traditional needs. It is a plan that you should draw well with the help or assistance of professionals. You have to read widely to know the right types of foods to take and their recommended quantities. If possible, visit nutritional websites on the Internet in order to get firsthand information. Also, your health practitioners can offer you the best piece of advice regarding healthy eating.
If you like guidelines to healthy eating, share it with friends.